Skip to main content

Court summons EFCC, Zenith Bank over Fayose’s frozen account

Ado Ekiti

A Federal High Court in Ado Ekiti on
Tuesday ordered the Economic and
Financial Crimes Commission to appear before it on July 4 to explain why it should not unfreeze Governor Ayodele Fayose's account with Zenith Bank.

The commission had frozen Fayose's
account and those of some of his
associates after allegedly tracing N4.7bn from the Office of the National Security Adviser to them and those of two sons of a former Minister of State for Defence, Musiliu Obanikoro.

The governor, a strong critic of President Muhammadu Buhari, had gone to a branch of the bank located on Bank/ Secretariat Road for to carry out some transactions when he discovered that his account had been frozen.

Fayose through his lawyer, Mr. Mike
Ozekhome (SAN), approached the court on Tuesday through an ex parte
order seeking a mandatory order
unfreezing the accounts pending the
determination of his interlocutory application.

He also sought the leave of the court for the service of the originating summons of the substantive suit on the respondents in their various
addresses outside the jurisdiction of the court.

The first and second respondents are the EFCC and Zenith bank.

The application was brought pursuant to Order 26 Rule 8(1) of the Federal High Court Civil Procedure Rule 2009 and Section 44(1) of the 1999 Constitution.

Adopting the written address, Ozekhome contended that the EFCC's action contravened Section 308 of the
Constitution, which conferred immunity on the governor.

Citing the case of Abdulaziz Nyako Vs
EFCC, he argued that the anti-graft
agency had no power to freeze Fayose's account without a valid court order.

But ruling on the application, Justice
Taiwo Taiwo, said the Applicant Plaintiff (Fayose) should put the respondents on notice.

He said, "I quite agree that the court can make a mandatory order in extreme cases. There is no doubt there are triable issues before the court, more so when the applicant is a sitting governor.

"I quite agree that the applicant has
immunity pursuant to provisions of the Constitution, but it is glaring that what the applicant is looking for is a
mandatory order to undo what had
already been done.

"In this case, it is noted by the court that the reliefs sought by the applicant are better granted during the interlocutory injunction. I don't think any court will abdicate his duties. I have restrained from going into the merit of the case because the originating summon has yet
to be heard and should not be preempted.

"I hereby order the first and second
respondents to appear before this court on why the order being sought should not be granted.

"For the avoidance of doubt, the prayer is not refused but put in abeyance pending when the respondents would appear before the court on July 4 to show cause why it should not be granted.

"The respondent should file a counter affidavit before July 4 and if possible, the motion will be heard on same day."


Sent from my BlackBerry wireless device from MTN

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EMIR OF KASTINA TELLS PRESIDENT BUHARI TO SIGN PEACE CORPS BILL

The Emir of Katsina, Abdulmumini Usman, has declared support for the Peace Corps bill passed by the National Assembly. The bill, which seeks to turn the Peace Corps, a non-government organisation, into a government paramilitary agency, has elicited mixed reactions from Nigerians. Proponents see it as an avenue to create jobs for thousands of youth while critics describe as a duplication of functions already being performed by existing agencies and creation of another bureaucracy at a time the country is finding it difficult to pay workers' salaries. The bill was opposed by existing military and security institutions in Nigeria and the Peace Corps leader Dickson Akoh is currently being prosecuted for alleged fraud. Apart from lawmakers, the bill is also supported by some prominent Nigerians including the Minister of Sports, Solomon Dalung, who also asked Mr. Buhari to sign to it. The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the Katsina emir made a similar call on the president on Thursda...

AKEREDOLU, KEKEMEKE AND OTHERS BID MRS FAGUNWA GOODBYE

CBN Says It Can’t Reverse The Ban On ATM Card Use Abroad

The decision of Deposit Money Banks, DMBs, to place a restriction on the use of ATM cards abroad by bank customers is due to scarcity of foreign exchange, the CBN has said.The CBN said although it sympathizes with Nigerians for the sufferings they are experiencing in carrying out transactions abroad, it can't reverse the decision of DMBs and the CBN is in support of it as it would assist in reducing the pressure on the Naira.The Director, Monetary Policy Department, CBN, Mr. Moses Tule, explained that the restriction might continue until Nigeria could increase its foreign exchange earnings. He said if banks had not taken the decision to restrict the use of the ATM cards abroad, some of them would current be experiencing challenges meeting the overseas demand of their customers.May GOD help Us.. AMEN!!!