Skip to main content

MMM is becoming an option, protesting doctors cry

Doctors at Federal Medical Centre, Yenagoa, Bayelsa State last week protested over unpaid four months salaries owed them by the Federal Government, threatening to withdraw medical services to patients on November 15.

The protesting doctors, under the Association of Resident Doctors said though they have met the management of the Federal Medical Centre over the issue, the responses were not encouraging.

The aggrieved resident doctors led by their Chairman, Dr. Nonso Okoye, and armed with placards some of which reads "Our Families are hungry", FG pay our salaries" and "we are hungry, MMM is becoming an option", called on Nigerians to prevail on the Federal Government to pay up salaries owed them.

According to the protesters, they were paid 52 per cent salary from February to May, 2016 and owed September and October.

"We want the Federal Government to pay us our monies. We have not withdrawn services. All we are saying is for the government to pay us for work done.

"Nigerians should prevail on the Federal Government to pay us. As much as we don't want to withdraw our services, we have resolved to withdraw the services by 15th of November if nothing is done.

"We have met with the management but all they did was pay us a month salary. They told us that the budget available cannot pay salary," the protesters said.

Contacted, the Chief Medical Director of the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Dennis Alagoa said the blame is not from the management, but added "with Tuesday statement by the President, we are assured that the issue will be resolved soon."

On the alleged threat by the resident doctors to down tools, he said the issue of strike will not make a difference as the matter is on the table of the Federal Government 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EMIR OF KASTINA TELLS PRESIDENT BUHARI TO SIGN PEACE CORPS BILL

The Emir of Katsina, Abdulmumini Usman, has declared support for the Peace Corps bill passed by the National Assembly. The bill, which seeks to turn the Peace Corps, a non-government organisation, into a government paramilitary agency, has elicited mixed reactions from Nigerians. Proponents see it as an avenue to create jobs for thousands of youth while critics describe as a duplication of functions already being performed by existing agencies and creation of another bureaucracy at a time the country is finding it difficult to pay workers' salaries. The bill was opposed by existing military and security institutions in Nigeria and the Peace Corps leader Dickson Akoh is currently being prosecuted for alleged fraud. Apart from lawmakers, the bill is also supported by some prominent Nigerians including the Minister of Sports, Solomon Dalung, who also asked Mr. Buhari to sign to it. The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the Katsina emir made a similar call on the president on Thursda...

AKEREDOLU, KEKEMEKE AND OTHERS BID MRS FAGUNWA GOODBYE

CBN Says It Can’t Reverse The Ban On ATM Card Use Abroad

The decision of Deposit Money Banks, DMBs, to place a restriction on the use of ATM cards abroad by bank customers is due to scarcity of foreign exchange, the CBN has said.The CBN said although it sympathizes with Nigerians for the sufferings they are experiencing in carrying out transactions abroad, it can't reverse the decision of DMBs and the CBN is in support of it as it would assist in reducing the pressure on the Naira.The Director, Monetary Policy Department, CBN, Mr. Moses Tule, explained that the restriction might continue until Nigeria could increase its foreign exchange earnings. He said if banks had not taken the decision to restrict the use of the ATM cards abroad, some of them would current be experiencing challenges meeting the overseas demand of their customers.May GOD help Us.. AMEN!!!