Skip to main content

UCH RESIDENT DOCTORS ISSUES STRIKE NOTICE

Members of Resident Doctors of Nigeria, University College Hospital Ibadan Chapter on Friday, issued a ten days strike notice to the authorities of the hospital over issues ranging from poor working environment, employment of more doctors to poor remuneration of members.

The doctors said they would proceed on total strike unless the management of the hospital paid the arrears of their salaries and employ more doctors to ease the pressure on them.

President of the union, Dr Olusegun Olaopa, while addressing journalist at a press  conference which held at the secretariat of the Association, said the hospital lacked the required number of resident doctors and that the available ones live in dilapidated quarters and in fear of snakes and other reptiles that competed the space with them.

He said: “After the national strike was called off based on understanding with the Federal Government, the UCH management is handling the issue of resident doctors poorly. One of the issues is the employment of more doctors. The hospital continues to postpone plan to employ more doctors despite having a huge shortfall in the quota.

“The doctors cannot run the hospital with their blood. We are 457 in number instead of the recommended 525 doctors. What this means is that we are now doing the work of ward maid in addition to our statutory duties. It is clear that the FG pays subvention to cover 525 doctors so the hospital should employ the balance.

“It is shocking that despite the fact that the FG released money to pay our shortfall of salaries, we have yet to be paid. The FG should come and look at the audit system in the hospital to ascertain what the money was used for. For the past two weeks, our salaries have been released to the hospital by the FG but that money has yet to be paid even though other staff has been paid. We got 72 per cent of our salary in August. This is no more acceptable”

‘We are giving a grace of 10 days to the management to address all the issues raised after which we would go on total strike.

“The lives of people taking care of patients are being endangered by the hospital management. If these issues are not holistically addressed in the next 10 days, we will not have an option than to proceed on total strike. We appeal to the public and government to help us prevail on the management to do the right thing,”

Olaopa lamented that several letters had been written to the management as regards the issues as well as held several meetings but with no result, adding that the failure of the management to resolves the issues at stake has impact negatively on the harmonious working environment at the hospital.

He stated that some structures within the hospital are in bad shape while members of the Association as well patients are being exposed to danger on daily basis due to negligence of the management.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EMIR OF KASTINA TELLS PRESIDENT BUHARI TO SIGN PEACE CORPS BILL

The Emir of Katsina, Abdulmumini Usman, has declared support for the Peace Corps bill passed by the National Assembly. The bill, which seeks to turn the Peace Corps, a non-government organisation, into a government paramilitary agency, has elicited mixed reactions from Nigerians. Proponents see it as an avenue to create jobs for thousands of youth while critics describe as a duplication of functions already being performed by existing agencies and creation of another bureaucracy at a time the country is finding it difficult to pay workers' salaries. The bill was opposed by existing military and security institutions in Nigeria and the Peace Corps leader Dickson Akoh is currently being prosecuted for alleged fraud. Apart from lawmakers, the bill is also supported by some prominent Nigerians including the Minister of Sports, Solomon Dalung, who also asked Mr. Buhari to sign to it. The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the Katsina emir made a similar call on the president on Thursda...

AKEREDOLU, KEKEMEKE AND OTHERS BID MRS FAGUNWA GOODBYE

CBN Says It Can’t Reverse The Ban On ATM Card Use Abroad

The decision of Deposit Money Banks, DMBs, to place a restriction on the use of ATM cards abroad by bank customers is due to scarcity of foreign exchange, the CBN has said.The CBN said although it sympathizes with Nigerians for the sufferings they are experiencing in carrying out transactions abroad, it can't reverse the decision of DMBs and the CBN is in support of it as it would assist in reducing the pressure on the Naira.The Director, Monetary Policy Department, CBN, Mr. Moses Tule, explained that the restriction might continue until Nigeria could increase its foreign exchange earnings. He said if banks had not taken the decision to restrict the use of the ATM cards abroad, some of them would current be experiencing challenges meeting the overseas demand of their customers.May GOD help Us.. AMEN!!!